Welcome to Sure’s MoveMate Series – a programme designed to inspire and aid you to keep moving at home, and use the power of two to make your workouts as effective as possible. From partnered workout challenges to top tips for overcoming fitness fatigue at home, we’ll help you get twice the results from your exercise routine – and all you need is a mate!
WHAT DID WE FIND OUT?
Almost half (43%) of Brits admit to always or often losing motivation to workout regularly.
A fifth (20%) of Brits admit they need someone to tell them what to do when it comes to working out.
A quarter (24%) admit to pushing themselves less when exercising alone.
Running for the win, with almost a quarter of the nation (23%) listing it as the form of exercise that delivers the most results.
Keep going! 1 in 5 (20%) say “keep going” is the most encouraging thing they could hear during a workout.
DR Josephine's Seven Suggestions for moving with a mate:
Breaking barriers through movement
1. Smile at each other. Studies show that when we see someone else smile, we smile back and when we smile we trick our brain into thinking the exercise we are doing is easier than it is and can keep going for longer.
2. Share reasons you are grateful. When we go hunting for things to be thankful for we focus more on the good stuff in life and so reframe difficult things more positively.
3. Agree your goal for the work out up front so you keep pushing each other when the fatigue kicks in.
4. Practice using the words ‘yet’ or ‘and so’ with each other. Then for every negative phrase you state it can be twisted into something more helpful such as ‘This is hard… and so I’ll definitely benefit’ or ‘I can’t do this…Yet’.
5. Observe each other and pull out something you each do really well. Exercise feels easier when we have just received a complement about the skills we are using.
6. Remind each other when the other’s technique falters. We can get lax on our own but having someone next to you to prompt; shoulders back, core strong or feet higher, keeps us working at our best.
7. Make a bit of the session competitive – and have a punishment for the loser; like exercises of those other’s choice or paying for the post workout coffees.
Chartered Sports Psychologist, Dr Josephine Perrey said:
“We all know we should be exercising and that it brings lots of benefits but when motivation is low and stress levels are high it can be hard to get going. Psychological studies have found that one of the best ways to boost motivation is to exercise with others; it makes us work harder, increases our accountability and, most importantly, makes it more fun. That sense of connection to someone else is a brilliant secret weapon when trying to get fit and stay more active”.
Sure Fit Awards social promotion T&Cs
1. This promotion is open to residents of the UK aged 18 or over except employees of the Promoter, their families, agents or anyone professionally connected with the promotion.
2. To enter, comment on the @townsend_twins Fit Awards post with your acceptance speech, tagging @sure and your Movemate (insert @). For the entry to be valid, entrants must use the hashtag #SureFitAwards and follow @Sure on Instagram. For example, “My @Sure Fit Awards acceptance speech is xxx and I nominate my Movemate (insert @) #SureFitAwards”
3. The opening date for entries is 17:00 BST on 11th May 2021 and the closing date for receipt of entries is 17:00 BST on 13th May 2021.
4. The promotion is limited to one entry per Instagram account. No entrant may win more than one prize. Prizes are limited to one per household. Multiple entries from the same Instagram account will be invalid. Entrants found to be using multiple accounts will be ineligible.
5. No applications from agents, third parties, organised groups or applications automatically generated by computer will be accepted. No incomplete or corrupted entries will be accepted. Entries will only be accepted if they comply with all entry instructions.
6. By participating in this promotion, you agree to release, discharge and hold us harmless from any and all injuries, liability, losses and damages of any kind resulting from your participation in this promotion (save that nothing shall limit our liability for fraud, or for death or personal injury caused by our negligence).
7. Responsibility is not accepted for entries lost, damaged or delayed as a result of any network, computer hardware or software failure of any kind.
8. Each entry:
- must be suitable for display and publication online and should not be obscene or indecent (including but not limited to nudity, pornography or profanity), it must not contain defamatory statements or words or symbols that are offensive either generally or to individuals of a certain race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or socioeconomic group. It must not include threats to any person, place, business or group, it must not invade privacy or other rights of any person, firm or entity, and it must not in any other way violate applicable laws and regulations or network standards;
- must not contain or refer to any products other than those of Sure and it must not contain or reference any third party trade marks or logos (other than those of Sure unless such inclusion is merely incidental and is not unduly prominent and as long as it is included with due cause and in such a way that it does not take unfair advantage of any third party trade marks; and
- must be the entrant’s own work and must not contain any copyright protected works (other than as owned by the entrant).
9. If anyone other than you appears in your entry, you must have their permission to use their name and/or likeness in the manner contemplated by this promotion.
10. If any group of people elects to collaborate on a submission, they are required to designate one person as the agent of the group to enter the promotion, agree to these terms and conditions and accept the prize on behalf of the group.
11. If you submit an entry that includes material the rights in which are owned by a third party, including intellectual property rights such as copyright and trade marks, you will be responsible for any legal action that party may take against you.
12. Entrants shall indemnify and hold the Promoter and their respective affiliates, directors, agents, or other partners ("the Indemnitees") harmless from any claims, actions, proceedings, costs (including reasonable legal fees) and expenses brought or asserted by a third party against any of the Indemnitees arising as a result of the Promoter's use of the entrant's submission including but not limited to any breach of third party intellectual property rights.
13. There is one prize in total. The winner will receive: 24 x Sure Advanced Protection Anti-Perspirant Aerosol 200ml (to be split as 12 for the winner and 12 for their Movemate). All prizes will be sent by post to each winner’s address.
14. All valid entries received by the closing date will be included in a randomised selection to determine the winner. In the event of any dispute, the decision of the Promoter is final. In the event of unforeseen circumstances the Promoter reserves the right to substitute the prize for an alternative of equal or greater value. No correspondence will be entered into.
15. The winner will be notified by an Instagram direct message from the @Sure Instagram account within 28 days of the closing date. The winner must claim their prize by responding to the direct message confirming their full name and address within 28 days of the notification. If the prize is unclaimed after this time, it will lapse and the Promoter reserves the right to offer the unclaimed prize to a substitute winner selected in accordance with the promotion rules.
16. The winner’s details (name and county) may be made available on request to those writing to Sure Fit Awards social promotion, Unilever UK Limited, Unilever House, Springfield Drive, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT22 7GR within ten weeks after the closing date, enclosing a stamped SAE.
17. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram. Entrants are providing information to the Promoter and not to Instagram. Entrants release Instagram for all claims and liabilities arising in respect of the promotion.
19. These terms and conditions and any issues or disputes which may arise out of or in connection with these terms and conditions (whether such disputes or issues are contractual or non-contractual in nature, such as claims in tort, for breach of statute or regulation or otherwise) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law. Entrants hereby irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts to settle any such dispute or issues.
Promoter and Data Controller: Unilever UK Limited, Unilever House, Springfield Drive, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT22 7GR (please do not send entries to this address).